NUTELLA! Possibly the best food ever!? Unfortunately also extremely unhealthy and full of added sugar. So for sugar addicts, how exciting is it to create a healthy sugar free delicious version!?
The original recipe I took inspiration from was from Sarah Wilson’s ‘I Quit Sugar’ book, but I changed it slightly as I do not think using maple syrup is too bad for you. From lots of research, I think if sugar is naturally occurring it shouldn’t be so demonized (fructose/fruits, honey, maple syrup) and as long as it is eaten in moderate amounts it is perfectly fine (in my opinion!).
Maple Syrup is harvested naturally from maple trees and contains lots of iron and calcium. Make sure you buy 100% Canadian maple syrup, as maple syrup flavoured syrups will have lots of added sugars!
The taste? Well I think this version is obviously less sweet and more nutty, but it is still pretty convincing and damn well delicious!
You will need:
- 1 cup Blanched hazelnuts (135g)
- 200ml Coconut milk
- 80ml Maple syrup
- 1/4 cup (30g) raw cacao powder (I bought mine from Amazon here – it’s expensive but a bag will last a while!)
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla powder or vanilla flavour
1. Bake your hazelnuts in the oven for 10 minutes.
2. Using a rolling pin and large bowl (or a food processor if you have one), crush the hazlenuts so they are smashed into small pieces – almost like a powder. ( Or you could just buy pre-chopped ones if you wanted too.)
3. Add all your ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth!
4. Store in your fridge and this should keep for a few weeks. Or eat immediately with fresh strawberries and bananas!