I love reading yearly round up lists so I thought I’d do my favourite beauty products that I tried and loved in 2015. I probably spent more money on beauty than clothes last year, and I’m telling myself it’s because I’m almost 27 I feel like I have to start making more effort with my skin and hair than ever before.
Basically I discovered loads of new products that I loved last year so here we go… (Sorry in advance if this makes you want to buy anything…! January, I know.)
1. Aesop Resurrection Aromatique hand balm – I feel like this hand cream gets a lot of ‘hype’, and a lot of instagram time. However, it is actually as good as it looks. My hands are really dry as I’m a bit obsessive about washing them… so I use a lot of hand cream. Out of all the ones I’ve ever tried, this one is by far the best (as well as L’occitane). The smell of this is just not like anything else, it’s really strong – very orange-y. You probably either love it or hate it but it’s a firm favourite for me. You also don’t need to keep reapplying it for your hands to feel better, once or twice a day is enough.
2. Bioderma Sensibio micellaire cleansing water – Loved by make-up artists (apparently), it’s a make-up removing cleansing water and it’s super good at it. It’s for sensitive skin and doesn’t feel ‘chemically’ or harsh on the skin like a lot of make-up removers do. I use this every single day and it has 100% improved my skin, probably because it totally removes all traces of any make up. You can get it in a giant bottle from chemists. Boots sell it now but it’s a bit of a rip off there (£10 for the small bottle!) so I’d recommend buying it online or finding a local pharmacy that stocks Bioderma.
3. Kiehls Midnight Recovery Concentrate – This literally makes you feel like you’ve just been born out the womb. Your face feels so nice and fresh the next morning. The smell is also really calming. It can feel a bit wet when you apply it, but you only need the tiniest amount possible. This also makes the price (£36) seem a little better value for money if you consider how long it will last. My boyfriend tried using this and put way too much on his face practically slid off his body… so, yeah, a couple of drops needed max! Oils can seem a bit weird, like they’ll break you out, but this one hasn’t given me any problems and I do have combination skin. It’s been good in the winter especially when my skin is drier.
4. The Body Shop Satsuma shower gel – Oh god this smells SO good. I actually used to hate this scent so much but this year I began to love it. It feels nice on your skin and feels really refreshing! I’ve repurchased it at least 4 times.. so I think it deffo deserves a spot here.
1. NARS Pure Radiant tinted moisturizer in shade Finland – Previous to this I was using the NARS Sheer Glow foundation, but sometimes it made me look a bit like a weird ghost in pictures, and it’s quite heavy for day to day use. I also have been looking after my skin a bit more so didn’t really need full coverage foundation all the time. I’ve tried a couple of tinted moisturizers and some are terrible (consistency, application etc). This one is so good though, and considering how light it feels the coverage is great. Combined with the NARS concealer it’s a great combo at getting dewy skin! Please never discontinue this, I will cry.
2. Dr Paw Paw lip balm – I have all three colours of this (it comes in clear, peach and red), but I think the clear is my favourite. It feels so comforting on the lips, and works well as a balm. You can also use it on your eyebrows to make them stay put, and on fly away hairs! It’s a bit like a glorified vaseline but a bit thicker. I’ll be re-purchasing this when it runs out. The tinted ones are good for a bit of colour on the lips or cheeks too.
3. Maybelline Lash Sensational mascara – I have tried a LOT of mascaras, high end and ‘drugstore’ and I’d say this possibly the best mascara I’ve ever used! It lengthens your lashes a lot, comes in super super black and does not flake – and I find that cheaper mascara’s do often flake, so that’s amazing. Also it’s like £7? And it’s often on offer too 3 for 2. So yep, firm favourite.
4. Charlotte Tilbury KISSING lipstick in Bitch Perfect – This year I got my hair dyed half blonde, and I think red looks a bit intense day to day so I started wearing nudes a lot more. This lipstick is just the best, it’s really conditioning, stays on all day and is the most beautiful pinky-peachy colour. I’m onto my second one already and will continue to buy this in 2016! It also smells SO good too which is a bonus, very vanilla-y which I’m a fan of.
There was one other make-up item that I totally forgot to photograph which I have loved this year and it is the L’Oreal Superliner superstar eyeliner. This is the easiest eyeliner I’ve ever used and it doesn’t smudge, it applies like a ~dream~. It’s also very black, and stays bright black all day/night.
1. Kevin Murphy Hydrate-Me-Wash shampoo – My hairdresser recommended me this after I had my hair balayage-d (is that a word?), it is a bit expensive for a shampoo at £18 but it has lasted about 3 months. You need the smallest amount of this so it does go a long way. My blonde has not faded, gone orange or anything nasty – and it makes my hair smell and feel lovely. I’d definitely re-purchase this!
2. Bumble and Bumble Dryspun Finish thickening spray – A gift from my sister, this stuff does what it says on the tin. Again, something I’ve noticed with hair products that cost more… you don’t need much and it is really effective at making your hair a bit thicker. It’s a bit like dry shampoo, except less gross feeling and a lot lighter. It holds the new found thickness for a whole day too which is unlike a lot of thickening products.
Do you use any of these products? What have been your fave beauty finds this year? x